Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Cultural Affair; Most Marvelously Mint

It's been awhile since I've had the opportunity or inclination to get dressed up (which is rare for me) but it's just been too darn hot to preen. After having a particlarly low day though I decided to pull myself out of the slump the best way I knew how; by wearing a voluminous tutu in my favourite shade and heading to Fringe World to see beautiful men with amazing bodies covered in glitter cavort and perform aerial circus feats whilst semi/fully naked with strategically placed silver tassles, as directed my a transvestitte emcee. What? How do you get your kicks?


For the record, the fringe show I saw at the beautiful Spiegeltent was Briefs - Burlesque with Balls. Australia's (and possibly the World's) best all male burlesque revue. So good that their star performer has recently been crowned Burlesque King of the World and will accompany Dita Von Teese on her next tour. But I digress. This blog is about fashion, not naked men (hmm, new blog idea *epiphany*). BUT check them out should you get the chance - more here: http://www.facebook.com/briefsallmalecircuscabaret?sk=wall

So, back to the task at hand. What does one wear to a Fringe event at the beautiful Spiegeltent? With it's stained glass windows, beautiful wooden booths and decadent old time Carnivale atmosphere, you can put a little extra effort into your Spiegel-attire.




I always prefer to be over dressed than underdressed and while meeting some friends there, I considered the venue to be my date - I had to dress to match her finery. But it was still 100 degrees.

One of the colours I adore presently is mint green. It looks like candy and feels super feminine, whilst also being a shade of my favourite; blue based greens. Also known as 'sea foam' as the Nom du jour, it is an incredibly pretty colour that makes one think of vintage garden parties, but it's also really wearable and versatile (and can rage from electric mint, so a subtle pastel shade). I'll be putting together and posting a Mint story board soon.


I also have an epic lady crush on ballet skirts/tutus. Wheels & Dollbaby have launched a beautiful range of them recently, but with a $455.00 (AUD) price tag they're a bit of a luxury. They are stunning though and I think, surprisingly versatile given the right styling. I will be styling a shoot with these type of skirts as a main feature very soon.

Wheels & Dollbaby pink ballet skirt

Wheels & Dollbaby black ballet skirt

Wheels & Dollbaby nude embroidered ballet skirt
These are beautiful but presently out of my price range, and so I picked up my little beauty for a sneaky $30.00 from the interwebs - and in my favourite shade of mint no less. So without further ado, here's my outfit choice for Fringe.


A simple white camisole with some ebroidery (mine is borrowed from my beloved housemate T's wardobe), a mint tulle ballet skirt and my favourite matching minty-teal faux suede t-bar heels from my own company The Powder Room (I may or may not have these heels in black, pink and teal).

I'm in the process (at least until I get bored of it) of ombre-fying my hair so I straightened my two-toned locks (although my faded automatic turquoise patch actually went quite nicely with my colour choice). I kept makeup simple, as it was too bloody hot for much but I did experiment with the current trend for orange based matte lips - I used my new Revlon Strawberry Suede ultra matte lipstick.

And this was the finished result (excuse the webcam photos in awkward positions - my camera flash is broken) - all minted up and ready to see delicious sparkly men perform for my entertainment in a 1920s Spiegeltent. Whilst wearing a tutu and sipping gin. If that's not a pick-me-up, I don't know what is.






Keep a look out for a Minty-Seafoam goodness storyboard coming up soon! x
 

2 comments: