Thursday, November 17, 2011

Personal Styling/Shopping: Ms Js 'Bohemian Goddess with Steampunk Rock edge'

For some time I have been interested in getting involved in personal styling and being a personal shopper. I've done it unofficially for years for friends and family but I've only recently considered doing it professionally (as a sideline) since completing my Diploma of Professional Styling.



I was approached by a good friend to help her to consolidate/revamp her wardrobe for the impending summer. She gave me a detailed brief (that included expressly NOT allowing her to purchase more skate shoes, nor cute rockabilly fashion that didn't suit her dreadlocks). We were also to avoid purchasing anymore super short skirts or denim and WERE to focus on collecting some pretty dresses and skirts as well as pieces that show off her awesome tattoos.


The great thing about personal shopping for other people is that you can look into fashion and trends that while you love yourself, you know would never suit you. In my case, my willing victim Ms J is incredibly tall, willowy and alternative with long red dreadlocks and amazing extensive tattoos and body modifications. I am none of these things yet have often been drawn to clothing and looks that would suit them to a T.


I have the advantage of knowing Ms J well, and thus have some sneaky insight into her personality as well as her look. I wanted to style her wardrobe along the lines of a 'Bohemian, gypsy, Earth-Goddess but with a bad-ass vintage rock/steampunk edge'. That sounds like a lot of different looks but I'm quite confident that using elements of all of them, we can pull it all together into one cohesive look.

Ms J also has autumn-colouring, so I'm looking at olive and yellow based greens, rusts, creams and browns. This also fits nicely with the earth-goddess and steampunk looks. So, without further ado, here are some of my picks...

The dresses:

This is my favourite pick out of the lot. The colour is perfect and the style is a good mix of hippy
and tough that it will suit her personality. The straps will also show off her shoulder serpent tattoos
With a headscarf over her dreadlocks and some boots or sandals this
dress strays into hipster territory, but her unique look will ground it and make it her own.


Some 'pretty' dresses that are shorter and neutral colours will also work well to show off her outrageously long legs and with coiled dreads, will add to the Greek goddess type feel.




I also want to capture a Summer Festival vibe, but have that 'festival' be Woodstock, and that vibe be 1970's rock n roll flower child.



Skirts:

Ms J has many short skirts (and with legs like hers, I would too), but trying to add some softer feminity to her look whilst still flattering and emphasising her attributes is important. Flowy skirts have the double advantage of emphasising her thin figure and height, while also flirting with a bohemian feminity. To avoid looking too hippy we've gone for simple detail and good cuts, and avoided tassles, fringing, applique or embroidery. A subtle rise at the front, rather than the dramatic 'mullet skirt' trend is flattering and makes the skirt more wearable (particularly as Ms J is a skate-boarder).




Vests!

With Serpents coiling around both shoulders, this is definitely an area we want to make a focus.Vests tie in with our Woodstock inspiration as well as just being a really great casual, wearable item. The green vest will work really well to pick up her eye colour too.



Now I did refer to steampunk earlier, and without covering her in timepieces and a Victorian cravat (though that would look great too), I was drawing inspiration from military details like buckles and Airship Captains. The top and onesie below provide a contrast to the softer styles of the more drapey garments while still fitting with our earthy/sand colour scheme.





These are more unusual statement pieces to be worn to stand out. Or to fly Zeppelins in, depending on where your day may take you...

Speaking of onesies, I personally love them. I think everyone should wear them (despite the bathroom conundrums they present). The following are my picks for Ms J. They work for her colouring and are also a bit of fun (as is she). She has a great figure for onesies as she has a fairly long body and is very slim. She is also not too top heavy to wear them. I find that onesies can be unflattering if they have to stretch out to accomodate a large bust, and I tend to wear a minimiser bra when wearing a onesie myself.





My first foray in to scouting clothing for personal styling has been eye-opening and great fun. I can't wait to get into the next step - sourcing and purchasing, and playing dress ups! We'll be conducting before and after photos so that you can see the whole process. Then I will be looking for my next victim volunteer!

Stay tuned x

No comments:

Post a Comment